Monday, February 1, 2010

Everything Is Rent....Again

Rent at Keegan Theater closed this weekend. Yup, another production of Rent and probably not the last.

This show ended up blowing up huge!! Most of the performances were sold out. We extended for two more weeks which also sold out. Five Helen Hayes Nominations (that's like the Tony Awards for DC theaters). Most importantly, a really great group of people.The thing I really appreciated was being appreciated!!!! With a few exceptions, often in professional theaters, I find that there is an attitude that the performers should bow down and be eternally thankful for the work and just suck up whatever un-happiness they may have about the work situation. I do believe in being professional and doing the job that you are hired to do. I also believe in choosing your battles and that you have a responsibility to do a little bit of research about where you're going to work so that you don't find yourself in a bad spot, but that doesn't mean that a theater can just throw anything at you that they want and then just say, "you should just be thankful for the opportunity I'm giving you." The folks at Keegan really went out of their way to make sure that we all knew how much they appreciated our efforts to perform well every night. When the show started to take off and do well and eventually get nominated, again, they went out of their way to show thanks and appreciation to everyone.

It meant a lot to me.


Rent is still not one of my favorite shows but this run was fun. Having just played the show with my friends at Winters Lane, I didn't need the learning period and was able to jump right in which was good because the band was amazing! I was glad I already knew the show because it helped me hold my own with them. And I finally figured out "Santa Fe".....it's still hard but I got it.

The New Year's Eve party was just disgustingly awesome! 'Nuff said!

February is kinda chill as far as gigs go, which is fine because March is already crazy and I think the rest of the spring will be as well.

Stay warm!

Goodbye Love.

No comments: