Last night, there was an Orioles game on TV from 1996 and it got me seriously misty. Not because it was the game when Eddie Murray hit his 500th home run or because the O's had an amazing team that year and made it to the playoffs and all that, but because in the background you could hear Rex Barney announcing the players as they came up to bat at Camden Yards.You may remember Rex's familiar, "Thank Youuuuu" or "Give that fan a contract!" whenever someone in the stands made a good catch.
I got to produce Rex's radio shows back in the day during my time at WBAL and we got to be good friends. His show would air before and after O's games on weekends, so during the game he'd hang out with me while I pushed the buttons for the broadcast and we'd talk baseball and stuff for hours. His post-game show would air from the time the game ended until 6pm when ESPN radio started, so obviously the longer the game went, the shorter his time on the air would be. He would spend the whole game yelling, "Play slower!" One Saturday the game got rained out and Rex did six solid hours of Orioles talk. He used to say that I helped him get thru it but all I did was answer the phones and push the buttons.
It should be pointed out that Rex pitched for the Brooklyn Dodgers and was actually the starter for Jackie Robinson's first game in the bigs. He was also the only player to pitch a no-hitter at the Polo Grounds in NY, which is where the Dodgers played before they moved to L.A. Needless to say he had amazing stories to tell about some legendary folks, as well as some advice about which Orioles Hall of Famers I should never get in a car with. He was a caring and generous guy and I loved working with him.
When he passed away, I went to his viewing and a close friend of his approached and introduced herself. When I told her who I was, a huge smile came across her face"You're Jason?! Rex used to talk about you all the time! He would say how great you were and how much he loved working with you!"
Wow! That was all I could say.
The O's have a plaque dedicated to Rex in the press box at the stadium...
...and inducted him into their hall of fame. I got Rex to sign a baseball for me one day and he personalized it to me.
It reminds me of him but it also reminds me of the kind of person I want to be. A person who accomplished great things but is remembered first for his kindness.
No comments:
Post a Comment