I don't know why we didn't win. We should've. But that's the thing about this whole performing thing, so much of your success is in other people's hands and, most of the time, you never know why decisions are made.
It reminds me of the time I auditioned for a role in the John Waters film, A Dirty Shame. In the movie there are three big, gay dudes who all live together called "The Three Bears". I was called in for "Baby Bear". I didn't get it. About a week later, I was interviewing John for a TV show I was working for at the time called CineMaryland. While we were getting his mic on him, I seized the opportunity.
"So, John. I auditioned for Baby Bear."
Mr. Waters began to laugh, "You're too butch!"
Awesome moment and also the only time I didn't get cast and found out the reason why!!
The thing about a Battle Of The Bands-type thing is that everything about the night was awesome. Lots of friends, good vibes and, we felt, a really strong performance...but, because we didn't win, there's a sense of melancholy around the whole thing.


After having a few days to kinda reflect, I will say that I am happy for the winning band, Bethany & The Guitar. I really liked them. While they were playing I told a friend, that if we didn't win, I hoped they did. Can you say 'jinx'!?! I do still feel that we put on a show worthy of winning, but I don't say that to diminish them...and here in lies the cool thing. The band was really nervous and feeling pressure to put on an amazing show. We did! It's cool to know that when it matters, this particular group of musicians can step up and make it work.
So, it's really not that big of a bummer.
No comments:
Post a Comment